Founder / Board-Certified Fort Worth Family Law Attorney
Jeff Johnson is a board-certified Family Lawyer with nearly 20 years’ of experience in both Washington and Texas. Only roughly 2% of family lawyers in Texas meet the rigorous experience and knowledge requirements to achieve this certification, meaning that Jeff’s clients have the piece of mind of knowing he can handle even the most complicated cases. He also serves on the board of directors for the Texas Family Law Foundation, meaning that he is part of a very small group of Texas family lawyers who work with the legislature to advocate for – or sometimes against – changes to the Texas Family Code.
In the courtroom, Jeff is a dynamic trial lawyer who practices Family Law both at the trial court level and also at the appellate court level. Within the broad category of Family Law, Jeff focuses his practice primarily on complex divorces involving high net-worth property division, waste claims, asset characterization and valuation, closely-held businesses, challenges to jurisdiction, military divorces, contract interpretation, and many other difficult issues. Over his career, Jeff has had extensive experience representing business owners, C-level executives, professional athletes, entertainers, and political strategists, and he is well-acquainted with the sensitive nature of such cases, including the attention to detail and the discretion required.
Jeff seeks out complex litigation that requires his expert analysis, his multifaceted and forward-thinking strategies, and his proven trial philosophy. He first determines his client’s long-term goals and then works to develop a flexible strategy that can adapt to the ever-changing landscape of each case. Where other lawyers often start with a rigid strategy and then try to force the facts to fit their plan, Jeff steadfastly believes that the best way to win is to mold the strategy around the facts and to assemble those facts into a case theory that leads the judge or jury directly to the right conclusion. Utilizing this methodology he advocates for his client’s goals in both the courtroom or in a written appellate brief.
Having graduated with honors from Washington State University with a BA in International Business, Jeff went on to graduate from one of the top law schools in the United States, The University of Oregon. Jeff has been decorated with numerous local and national awards, including the prestigious SuperLawyers ranking from Thomson Reuters publishing, as well as having been ranked as one of the Top 100 Family Lawyers Under 40 in the United States. Further, Jeff has been ranked by his peers as one of the Top Family Law Attorneys in Fort Worth for nine consecutive years.
Beyond his solid education and law practice, Jeff has invaluable business acumen and cultural insight. Jeff has twice lived and worked overseas, immersed in non-English speaking countries. He has also jointly owned a wine-importing company that did business in 46 states and 6 countries, honing his ability to coordinate people and resources. After leaving the wine industry, he learned the ins and outs of corporate management teamwork from some of the top minds in the sports industry when he spent 4 years working in the National Basketball Association’s Indiana Pacers and Dallas Mavericks organizations. It is advantageous to have an attorney that understands and respects both how a business functions and what it takes to run a successful organization.
Jeff’s passion for the wine industry has never waned; he acts as a marketing, management, and legal consultant for several wineries. When he is not practicing law, Jeff spends time making tables and desks in his woodshop, relaxes with his dogs, travels with friends, teaches wine classes, and reads historical non-fiction.
If you have a complex legal issue that demands an exceptional lawyer whose diverse background will ensure the best outcome, call Jeff today.
Areas Of Practice
- Contested divorce
- Complex property division
- Waste claims for funds spent without the other spouse’s permission
- Breach fiduciary duty between spouses
- Disproportionate share of community property
- Fault in the breakup of marriage
- Extramarital affairs and their effect on the property division
- Reimbursement for community funds used to benefit one spouse’s separate property
- Finding and tracing hidden accounts
- Child custody
- Same-sex family matters
- Child abuse
- Fathers’ rights
- Texas, 2013
- Washington, 2005
- University of Oregon School of Law, Eugene, Oregon
- J.D., 2004
- Washington State University Honors College, Pullman, Washington
- B.A. in International Business, 2000
Honors And Awards
- “SuperLawyer”, Thomson Reuters
- “Top Attorneys in Fort Worth”, Fort Worth Magazine, 2015-2024
- “Top 100 Family Lawyers in America Under 40”, The National Advocates
- “Nation’s Top 1% of Attorneys”, National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- “Top 10 Family Law Attorneys Under 40 in North Texas”, National Academy Of Family Law Attorneys
- “Best in Family Law Litigation – Texas”, Corporate America’s Legal Elite
- “Top Attorneys in North America”, Global Directory of Who’s Who
- “Clients’ Choice Award”, AVVO
- “10/10 Rating”, AVVO
Professional Associations And Memberships
- Texas Family Law Foundation, Board of Directors
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Texas Family Law Section
- Tarrant County Bar Association
- Tarrant County Family Bar Association
- Collaborative Law Institute of Texas
- Washington State Bar Association (former member)
Past Employment Positions
- Dallas Mavericks – Development League Affiliate, Franchise Consultant, 2010 – 2011
- Indiana Pacers – Development League Affiliate, VP – Sales and Marketing, 2007 – 2010
- Pangaea Wine Group, VP – Sales and Marketing, 2006 – 2007
- Lukins & Annis, PS, Associate Attorney, 2004 – 2006
Pro Bono Activities
- Youth Soccer Coach
- Franklin Group Think Tank
- French, English